TMJ stands for Temporomandibular Joint. It is the joint that connects your lower jaw to your skull. TMJ is a very important joint that is often forgotten about. Many problems can arise from having issues with the TMJ. TMD, Temporomandibular joint disorder, is a term used to describe these problems.We often remember to take care of our teeth by having them cleaned and checked regularly but often forget the health of our TMJ. Just like any other joint in the body, it is important to take care of the TMJ. Having an unhealthy TMJ can cause many issues such as pain and difficulties with eating and everyday life.
Common signs of TMD include:
– constant headaches throughout the day
– waking up with headaches
– clicking of the joint or any other noises, such as popping
– jaws getting ”stuck” or ”locked” when you open
– pain radiating through side of face and around temple region
– Muscle pain around the jaw
– muscle pain around your neck and shoulders
– difficulty in opening your mouth wide – usually experiencing too much pain
It is important to have any joint issues taken care of. Most of the time it is usually a multi-disciplinary approach to treating TMD. You may be required to see other health professionals such as chiropractors or physiotherapists. If you believe you suffer from TMD or would like to know your options, please contact us 3284 4281 or click here to book online for a consultation.